Understanding Roofing Options
Building a new home? Perhaps the home has been owned for many years and it’s time to replace the roof with something new. Or, a homeowner could be renovating an older home before moving in and realize that the roof needs a little TLC. Understanding the options for residential roofing in Clinton Twp. is the first step toward getting the perfect roof for that home. What are the choices? How does one choose the right company? Are there any other services that a roofing company might offer? In this guide, we’ll explore the answers to those questions and more.
Types of Residential Roofing
When it comes to residential roofing, Clinton Twp. residents have quite a few options. We’ll explore some of the most common below:
- Asphalt Shingles – The most commonly used type of roofing material in the US, asphalt shingles are available in a wide range of colors and even come in different grades. Conventional shingles will last around 20-25 years, but higher-end asphalt shingles can provide 30 to 50 years of protection.
- Cedar Shakes – If a homeowner is interested in something out of the ordinary that looks beautiful and still manages to stand the test of time, he or she can consider cedar shakes. Sometimes seen as siding on Sterling Heights homes, cedar shakes are durable, can be stained different colors, and give the home a very appealing look. However, they’re far more expensive than other options, and a homeowner will find that not all roofers can offer them.
- Tile – Tile roofs offer a Spanish-inspired look for homes. Terracotta tiles are beautiful, can last for decades, and only require a little maintenance to ensure they stay clean and good looking. However, tile can be fragile – a single branch could cause extensive damage, and even hail can sometimes crack or break the tiles on the roof.
- Metal – Metal roofing in Clinton Twp. is an increasingly popular option. Once used primarily as cheap roofing, today’s metal roofs are far from what they used to be. Homeowners can find metal roofing that will last for 50 years or longer, providing one of the longest lifespans on the market. These roofs can also be purchased in almost any color, allowing the homeowner to match the exterior aesthetic of the home, create a brand-new look, or tie into a theme.
Metal roofs are less expensive than some options, but are more costly than asphalt shingles.
However, because this material offers more than double the lifespan, the homeowner will recoup
an investment many times over. Metal roofing can also be installed over the top of existing
roofing in many instances, offering a simpler installation process.
Which Is the Right Choice?
Deciding on residential roofing for a Clinton Twp. home can be quite challenging. Homeowners need to balance many factors in a decision, including the following:
- Budget – One of the most significant factors is budget. If a homeowner is looking for the most affordable solution, then chances are good that asphalt shingles are going to be the right choice. However, don’t forget that metal roofing for Clinton Twp. homes can offer twice the lifespan (or more) of asphalt, so, while it may have a higher initial price tag, the cost over the life of the roof will be comparable, or even less.
- Style – The aesthetic that the homeowner is trying to achieve with the home is another important consideration. In some cases, a person might decide to go with tile or another type of roofing for cosmetic reasons. In others, metal roofing might be the better option, particularly considering the wide range of colors and patinas available from today’s roofers in Sterling Heights.
- Durability – When it comes to durability, two roofing materials stand out. Slate is a type of natural stone and can be incredibly durable, although it is also very heavy and very expensive. Metal is also very durable, and is relatively affordable and lightweight.
- Weight – The weight of the roof is a very important consideration. The underlying structure can only support a certain amount of weight, and a homeowner may need to consider additional factors, like accumulating snow and ice, or water accumulation if one has a flat roof (rare on residences). The roofing material chosen must not exceed the capacity of the underlying structure.
Finding the Right Roofing Company
The key to finding the right solution for a residential roof is to know what to look for when choosing roofers in Sterling Heights and Clinton Twp. There are several things to think about here, including:
- How long has the company been in business? While there’s nothing wrong with working with a new business, a company with an established history has proven they have what it takes to stay in business.
- Services – A company should not only offer new roof installation, but also inspections and roof repair for Sterling Heights and Clinton Twp. residents.
- Types of Roofing – A roofer should offer a variety of roofing solutions so homeowners can make the choice that best fits their needs.
- Affordability – Everyone wants to save as much money as possible when having their roof replaced or a roof installed on their new home. However, understand that “bottom dollar” roofers often deliver subpar results and may not be there when needed down the road, even if it’s to handle a problem that occurred during installation.
Hiring Roofing Experts Provides the Best Results
Ultimately, there are many options available to homeowners when it comes to residential roofing. Whether a homeowner is interested in asphalt shingles or wants to explore the benefits that metal roofing can offer, it’s best to find a local Clinton Twp. area roofing company that can provide top quality products plus expert installation knowledge. The chosen roofer should preferably have experience, and should be able to walk the homeowner through everything he or she needs to know to make an informed decision about their new roof.
Contact Kanga Roof today to learn more about roofing in Clinton Twp. Check out our current specials or click here to schedule your consultation and 26 Point Roofing and Exterior Safety Inspection with one of our Exterior Renovation Specialists. You can also contact us at 586-566-0308, complete the request form on this page or email us at HopToIt@Kanga-Roof.com. The “Burkhardt Boys” look forward to “Hopping To It” for you today!