Preventive maintenance is the key to extending the life of nearly anything, but it’s critically important when you’re talking about the roof on a commercial building. There’s a good chance that the building itself is one of your most significant assets, which makes the roof of the building one of the biggest sub-assets. Investing the time to care for it properly from the beginning may help avoid the need to call a commercial roofer in Sterling Heights for roof repairs in the future.
The Importance of Regular Commercial Roof Maintenance
Many Sterling Heights business owners think of the obvious when they consider commercial roof maintenance: The roof is designed to keep rain out. But a commercial roof serves other purposes as well. When the right type of roof is installed, it provides an element of structural support and, depending on the type of roofing material used, fire resistance. In the case of a reflective roof, it may even lower thermal temperatures by reflecting sunlight off the top of the building, thereby reducing the amount of air conditioning needed inside the building. All of this adds up to long term protection of one of the business owner’s biggest assets.
Commercial roof repair in Sterling Heights can be expensive, and most business owners would rather channel their hard-earned profits into new products, technology, or better sales tools for their employees rather than pay for a new roof. That’s why it’s essential to protect a commercial roof with regular care and preventive maintenance. Routine roof inspection helps the roof last longer and is something a business owner can take care of him- or herself. Of course, during this process, if there are any signs of damage, call in professional roofers in the area to get the issue fixed immediately.
Here are a few tips to help business owners or property managers create a roof inspection and maintenance plan.
- Maintain roof covers. Remove any debris and inspect the roof covers for damage from fallen limbs, twigs, or other matter. If any material is missing or appears damaged (as evidenced by bubbling or peeling), consider replacing the faulty roof cover.
- Check vents and fans. Take a look at all vents and fans and make sure they’re working correctly. Clear debris from the surrounding area so it doesn’t get caught in the fan blades or vents.
- Maintain the drainage system. Commercial roofers in Sterling Heights recommend a check of the drainage system at least twice a year and more often if the system is prone to clogging because of falling leaves or other debris. Closely inspect the drains for cracks and immediately repair any that are found. It’s critical to keep water out of the roof. Trapped moisture leads to a host of other issues.
- Inspect the flashing around the perimeter of the building. Look for loose or missing pieces of flashing that could allow water to penetrate the structure during high winds. Also, look for loose flashing around roof-mounted equipment, curbs, and hatches. Remember to inspect flashing carefully after every storm to stay on top of any new damage that may have occurred. This allows you to file a timely claim with your insurance company if needed, as well as get the issue fixed before negative consequences result.
- Check skylights and roof hatches. Skylights and roof hatches are known culprits when it comes to water intrusion. Check the perimeter of the skylight for cracks or leaks and make sure there’s no condensation buildup. Inspect roof hatches for loose screws and a tight fit. Make sure all roof hatches are closed securely and locked when not in use.
- Examine other roof-mounted equipment. During the inspection, make sure to check all the satellite dishes and air conditioning units thoroughly. These units have many moving parts. All metal panels should be in place, screws should be tight, accumulated debris should be removed, and all units should be securely fixed to the roof.
- Keep gutters clean. If your commercial roof includes a gutter system, make sure it’s included in the annual inspection and maintenance plan. Clogged gutters can cause water to back up, and when this happens, it will look for another outlet. It may flow over gutters and into the building’s foundation, or it could seep between the gutter and the sides of the building. This may lead to moisture build-up inside the walls, which can then lead to mold and mildew problems. Keeping gutters clean is one of the easiest ways to prevent this situation from occurring.
A Couple Additional Tips
Regular inspection and maintenance of your metal roofing in Clinton Twp. and Sterling Heights may help ensure that the roof’s warranty stays valid. It’s always better to care for an asset on a regular basis, rather than waiting for trouble to strike. By performing regular inspections and maintenance on your roof, you stay on top of any issues that may develop and can quickly call for roofing repair when needed.
Also, it’s important to inspect the roof if there have been contractors or equipment installers walking around on the roof or doing work of any kind. Accidents do happen, and it’s not uncommon for a contractor to break or damage something while taking care of other business. Before a business owner brings a contractor out to install anything on the roof, they should make sure to check the roof’s warranty. Certain types of additions to a commercial roof may invalidate the warranty and that’s something that should be known before the work takes place.
Have Roof Repairs Handled by Experts
Anyone in need of help with roofing repair in Sterling Heights, should make sure to choose a roofing contractor that knows the industry well and has the experience on board to help them get the roof back in perfect condition. The commercial roofer should also appropriately licensed and insured to bring peace of mind. Business owners can call a trusted roofer in the area and get a quote on services.
Contact Kanga Roof today to learn more about roofing in Clinton Twp. Check out our current specials or click here to schedule your consultation and 26 Point Roofing and Exterior Safety Inspection with one of our Exterior Renovation Specialists. You can also contact us at 586-566-0308, complete the request form on this page or email us at HopToIt@Kanga-Roof.com. The “Burkhart Boys” look forward to “Hopping To It” for you today!